Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lesson in gratefullness....

My dad sent me a devotional this morning that really resonated with me. It began by talking about the "if only disease" that seems to spread like wildfire in my life. 
If only I had more money....
If only I had a bigger house....
If only I had a different car...
If only....

 The think that is even worse than all of the "if only's" is the fact that when those are fulfilled, a new list begins. When did I become so discontent? When did I forget the endless blessings that God has bestowed on me? Why can I not be happy with those? 

The second part of the devotional focused on scripture. 
Philippians 4: 4-7
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!   Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.   Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.   And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

My prayers tonight will focus on asking forgiveness for being so unappreciative. I will also be asking for patience and understanding as I try to learn where God is leading my heart.

(Credit to Dad's devotional: Living Beyond the Daily Grind by C. Swindoll)

No comments:

Post a Comment